This is a common concern when initially setting up a food scrap program. There are simple solutions to this issue.
- Increase the frequency of compost pickup.
- Place collection containers in a fridge or freezer until pick up if space allows.
- Build a fence around compost, recycling, and trash containers to minimize smell and deter pests.
- Use tightly sealed containers and lock them to keep pests away.
- Fill compost toters ¾ full and fill the remaining space with paper or cardboard to dampen smell and absorb liquid.