Significant progress has been made in our state to facilitate collections of food scraps for composting. Illinois House Bill 437 – Organic Composting drop offs was signed into law by Governor Rauner on July 10th allowing temporary and permanent sites to collect organics for composting. Thanks to this success, pumpkin collection can continue with the support of the Illinois government.
Why compost pumpkins?
- They are full of nutrients that are good for the soil
- They are 90% water.
- Most of the pumpkins processed in the United States are grown in Illinois – keep the water and nutrients here!
- Landfills are the 3rd largest producers of methane gas.
- Intro letter Mini-fliers (8/sheet)
- Half sheet & full sheet sample fliers
- Pumpkin Factsheet
- IEPA permit application
- IEPA Conditions for One-Day Pumpkin collection events
Topics touched on in the Pumpkin Collection Guide include:
- Event Coordination: Permits, Haulers, Pick-up
- Staffing & Volunteers
- Day of the Event
- Event Follow Up